The strength and breadth of our company comes from the experience, intelligence, lessons learned, and the discipline we have gained in over a hundred years of designing, building, and sustaining ships. The processes and tools we use today are an offspring of that journey. Our advisory services begin with the most elementary of products and processes and end with the most complex designed and built marine vessels in the world. HII provides advisory services at every level of the design and build process.
Huntington Ingalls Industries Australia Pty Ltd provides a full array of shipbuilding advisory services. The resources for these advisory skills will be drawn from shipyards in Newport News, Virginia, and Pascagoula, Mississippi, and the services division, Technical Solutions, headquartered in Fairfax, Virginia.
The Newport News Shipbuilding, Ingalls Shipbuilding and Technical Solutions divisions are significant contributors to the workforce that designs, builds, and sustains the ships they construct.
Huntington Ingalls Industries builds the most advanced state-of-the-art naval assets in the world. Ingalls and Newport News shipyards have designed and built over 70 percent of the U.S. Navy’s surface fleet.
Nuclear powered aircraft carriers: Newport News Shipbuilding is the sole designer and builder of the U.S. Navy’s nuclear powered carriers.
Nuclear powered submarines: Newport News Shipbuilding builds 50 percent of the U.S. Navy’s nuclear powered submarines.
Arleigh Burke-class Destroyers: Ingalls Shipbuilding designs and builds guided missile destroyers, which are the backbone of the U.S. Navy surface fleet. The DDG 51 class destroyers are the most advanced state-of-the-art surface combatants built in the world. These destroyers are equipped with the Navy’s Aegis Combat System. Ingalls has built and delivered 29 ships to the U.S. Navy, with five more under construction and one more to build on record.
Amphibious Assault Ships: Ingalls Shipbuilding is building the entire LPD 17 San Antonio class of ships, the newest addition to the U.S. Navy’s 21st Century amphibious assault force. The 684-foot-long, 105-foot-wide ships are used to transport and land Marines, their equipment, and supplies by embarked air cushion or conventional landing craft and amphibious assault vehicles, augmented by helicopters or vertical takeoff and landing aircraft such as the Osprey. America-class ships are built exclusively at Ingalls Shipbuilding and are 844 feet long and 106 feet wide and displace 44,854 tons. The gas turbine propulsion system drives the ship in excess of 22 knots. It accommodates 1,204 crew and 1,871 troops and is capable of carrying a Marine Expeditionary Unit, including Marine helicopters, V-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft and F-35B V/STOL Joint Strike Fighters. These ships carry a complement of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters that significantly enhance the Marine Air Ground Task Force’s projection of combat power capabilities in any given crisis response situation. America class design modifications optimize aviation operations and support activities.
U.S. Coast Guard National Security Cutters (NSC): National Security Cutters are the centerpiece of the U.S. Coast Guard fleet modernization program. As the flagship of the Coast Guard fleet, the NSC is the most technically advanced high endurance cutter in existence. The current program of record is for nine ships, of which the first six have been successfully delivered with great acclaim from the Coast Guard. NSCs are 418 feet long with a 54-foot beam and displace 4,500 tons with a full load. They have a top speed of 28 knots, a range of 12,000 miles, an endurance of 60 days and a crew of 120.
Shipbuilding Advisory Capabilities
The following are Shipbuilding Advisory skill sets of Huntington Ingalls Industries:
- Program & Product Management Services & Support
- Project Management Services & Support
- Project Schedule Management
- Transition Management
- Data and Configuration Management
- Live-Cycle Costing (LCC)
- Project Costing Services
- Systems and Software Engineering – Systems Engineering
- Systems and Software Engineering – Systems Architecture/Integration
- Systems and Software Engineering -Testing and evaluation (including verification and validation)
- Technical- Configuration Management
- Specialist Engineering – Naval Architecture
- Specialist Engineering – Maritime Systems
- Specialist Engineering – Mechanical Engineering
- Specialist Engineering – Electrical/Power
- Specialist Engineering – Capability Definition Documents Development
- Specialist Engineering – Reliability, Availability, Maintainability
- Integrated Logistics Support Management
- Supply Chain Analysis and Inventory Optimisation and Planning
- Facilities Requirement Analysis and Planning
- Facilities Program Governance and Delivery Support
- Contract Management & Contract Performance
- Supplier and Product Compliance Assurance
- Quality Management: Polciy and Practices
- Quality Management: Theory and Principles
- Quality Management: Quality Management System Development
- Learning System Development and Management Services
- Learning and Development (L&D) Analysis Services
- Learning and Development (L&D) Design and Development Services
- Learning and Development (L&D) Evaluation Services
- Workforce Information Technology System
- Workforce Intelligence